It’s Wednesday! I’m halfway through a week of sick kids, sick husband, and sick me. Cold and flu season is almost over, right? Right? I think my oldest keeps bringing home a slightly new virus mutation each week, then it runs through each family member just in time for the new strain the next week. I know I’m not the only one with this going on, though–I see chapped, red noses all over town. Poor kiddos.
So today I’m sharing a quick project I did to complete the wall in my younger daughters’ room where I hung their repurposed shutter coat hanger. Remember those extra Command Strip tabs in a few of the photos? They are for these!
My little ladies like to collect their things and keep their creations, but my fridge is only so big. So having nice, large bulletin boards in their room for each of them gives them a space to display their proudest accomplishments and have a bit of say in their decorating. Littlest girl even snagged a Christmas card from a friend’s family to put on her board, since their youngest is one of her besties. Middle girl has her soccer and swimming buttons, her class photo from kindergarten, and a few swimming ribbons she earned last summer proudly displayed on hers. (I need to pick up a few more packs of push pins so she can spread her treasures out a bit.)
These bulletin boards are so, so simple to customize. I started with two bulletin boards my sister-in-law passed on to us a few summers back–they were basic brown cork boards like this or this, depending on the size you want. Ours are just under 2×3′ in size, and as you can see there is plenty of space to hang many projects and notes. For this size, you’ll also need a yard of fabric per bulletin board, a hot glue gun, and coordinating ribbon or trim.
I recovered these bulletin boards about a year or so ago with different fabric and covered the frames with scraps and ribbon, to this result.
I had also added a fabric-covered monogram for each girl, but after a year+ of each board falling off the wall repeatedly because I didn’t secure them very well, they looked a little worse for the wear.
The old fabric also did not work as well in the new color scheme I’m going for, so starting fresh was the best way to go. Since I’d simply hot-glued the first type of fabric on, I simply yanked everything off and got back to this point.
At that point, I realized that I’d painted the frames with the wall paint. Ooops, not what I wanted now. So I used some leftover white paint from my kitchen cabinets and freshened them up a bit. Then I measured the dimensions of the cork surface and cut my fabric to fit exactly in that space. Working from one corner all the way around, I hot glued the edges of the fabric right over the cork board. Then I repeated this step to cover the raw edges with the green grosgrain I selected to complement the floral.
To finish off the bulletin boards and add a bit more depth, I also hot glued the same green ribbon around the perimeter of each bulletin board.
I have plans to use a similar treatment elsewhere in the room to tie the bed over to the bulletin board wall.
Simple and easy to customize for any decor style, this is a fairly quick, 1-2 hour project. My girls love their boards and I love keeping their things in their room. We’re all happy, and with the command strips on the back, these bulletin boards are finally staying up. Whew.